Sunday 19 February 2023

Emu Egg Calving

This has been an absolute first for me!

Last week, as part of my role as the Aboriginal Social and Emotional Wellbeing Worker I organised Amanda from Wax Treasures Feathers to do an Emu Egg Calving workshop for my Yarning Circle Group of Aboriginal Elders.

Choosing to take my Egg and tools home to really have a think about what I wanted to calve into my Emu Egg. Being of Torres Strait Islander Decent, I chose to do my families totem, a few words in our language and designed a sting ray which includes the Dhari ( our native headdress), our Tribal name and the name of the Island we come from.

This is how it looks so far..



The Bird featured on my Emu Egg is a Tern Bird or "Serer" in the language of our people. The tern bird is considered a symbol of safe return as it never passes the night at sea. Navigators following them know therefore that they will soon reach land. 





I chose to calve out three words in our language around the outside of my frame.
These words were "Eded" meaning Life, "Lag" meaning Love and "Buai" meaning family.





And lastly I chose to do a tribal stingray with our Tribal name "Samsep" as well as the Island our old people originate from "Erub".

My Egg is still not quite finished but I'm quite proud of the way its coming along.

0 replied:

Post a Comment

© 2023 A LOT OF LITTLE BITS OF LOVE, AllRightsReserved

Blogging from Bacchus Marsh, Australia