Thursday 25 April 2013

When an awesome Idea doesn't come to life..

Nevaeh's birthday is tomorrow (Friday, 26th April). She will be four. Because of her love for books, I had planned a "Book Swap Birthday Party" for her and a few of her little friends. It was going to involve them all bringing a few books to swap with each other. I thought it was a great idea for my angel who absolutely loves reading to herself and having me read to her.

Unfortunately, it was not to be. I couldn't afford to throw a party for her and so it was cancelled.

All the thought and effort into filling library bags for each of the children attending are sitting in my cupboard. I don't want to get them out. I don't want to feel like I can't give my child what I never had. I don't remember a single birthday party of my own. In fact, I don't remember my mother or father ever going to any effort for me or my siblings at all. I would have loved nothing more than to see my little rosy cheeked princess having fun, opening books with her friends but because we barely have the money to live week to week we won't be celebrating four years of her life with a party, with a fancy cake or with other pretty princesses.

Sometimes, a thought just stays a thought..
Sometimes, a Mum is only a Mum and not a superhero.

3 replied:

N/A said...

You sound like a great mom. Coming from someone who grew up with extravagant birthday parties, but very little parental face-to-face time and affection, I think you are selling yourself short. You're more of a super hero than you know. Hang in there.

KellyLovesCali said...

Here's my idea... make a story yourselves! Help her to write her own story (if you have paper, write it together and she can draw the pictures, or use your computer and type it out and she can choose pictures from Google). This way you have a story that you can read together that you've both written. She WILL remember this more than a cake, I promise you.

xx

Rum-Punch Drunk said...

The most important thing is that you are there when the kids have a birthday. Not every parent is. You can always make a fun day of it without having to splash out on a lavish party. Most children will tell you when they get older that it wasn't about the gifts it was about you being there with them and loving them on the day.

You also said that you still have the library bags etc, why not leave it alone for another time in the year when you can afford it, and totally surprise the kids as it would be so unexpected and you wouldn't have any pressure about a birthday party.....
I'm sure that you are a great mum, regardless :)

Post a Comment

© 2023 A LOT OF LITTLE BITS OF LOVE, AllRightsReserved

Blogging from Bacchus Marsh, Australia